Subject: [Leica] [was] Another Altered Photo / now WAY OT
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Aug 8 09:33:07 2006

Sigh - not BILLION years. Geesh. Come on guys at least TRY to get some
half-life information correct.

Here's a Wikipedia article on Deplete Uranium. You can search for more
inflammatory or more sanguine articles with Google or your search
engine of choice.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium>

As a beta emitter U-238's decay chain isn't too bad since, as long as
it's external to the body your skin will block the high-energy
electrons emitted. Taken internally, however, it's more problamatical
but not nearly as nasty as the alpha-emitters whose high-energy helium
nuclii can do serious damage. (The most common source of alpha
emission is radon gas which is a naturally occuring decay product
found from a variety of natural sources, not to mention the decay
chains of fission products. In areas with lots of granite, for
instance, having a radon detector in your home would make a lot of
sense.)

Adam