Subject: [Leica] [was] Another Altered Photo / now WAY OT
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Aug 8 03:18:24 2006

Hang on Don.
This projectile has no magic burning through properties. It's all about
density vs cross section. Add that to high velocity and you have enormous
kinetic energy in the penetrator. The projectile will shed mass after
penetrating, plus the armour itself will add to the stream. It is also
pyrophoric so you would expect catastrophic heat along with the shrapnel and
spalled armour. An extremely lethal shower of very hot sharp material.
Regarding the radiation, it may be relatively benign to handle as you noted,
but the dust particles from a round impact are VERY bad juju should you
inhale them. That would be the least of your problems if you were sitting
within the target. Visiting it later would not be recommended either. It may
well be very toxic within the next few billion years or so.
Regarding the chain gun, it is a different but allied design to the rotary
barrel "gatling" designs. The principle benefits are simplicity and extreme
reliability.

Cheers
Hoppy Gunny and M9 Guy