Subject: [Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue May 2 06:37:41 2006

Hi Arche,
I am sure the Le Mans start included starting the engine, probably at
one time with a crank. With the exception of USA style oval racing
(and some oval based road races) and Karting, where there is no
clutch, a standing start is normal. AFAIK only at Le Mans is starting
the engine still included, but there may be other long distance races
like this too.
Most racing cars (again except oval racers) have to have on board
starters by regulation. F1 dropped on board starters a few years ago
and it is certainly much easier to package engine and transmission
without. There are plenty of people wanting to bring it back!
Standing starts are considerably more exciting than rolling starts
and very much part of the spectacle of road racing.
Frank