Subject: [Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Tue May 2 10:07:43 2006

The Le Mans 24 Hours has used a rolling start since 1971 (I believe -
no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong!). The grid does a lap
behind the pace car - and it's a long lap at Le Mans, over 8 miles -
before the pace car peals off into the pits and that huge grid floors
it. It is the most exhilarating sound I've ever heard, especially in
the days when there were five big V12 Jags in the field.

I think the last 24hrs to have used a Le Mans start was 1969 - also the
last year that a GT40 won. In fact Jackie Ickx, who drove the winning
car, was one of those campaigning to ditch the old style start on
grounds of safety. He made an incredibly brave protest - having
qualified towards the front of the grid he didn't run but WALKED
purposefully across the circuit, while all the other drivers sprinted
and their cars burst into life and roared off (missing him,
thankfully!) carefully strapped himself in and then took off after the
pack. I think he came to rue those lost seconds a little under 24 hours
later! It was one of the closest Le Mans finishes in history, with the
calm Ickx narrowly beating the new Porsche 917s. What a guy!

Has anyone seen the Steve McQueen film? Shot at the 1970 race when, in
a one off event, they started lined up in the traditional Le Mans
fashion but already strapped into their cars. A great film for racing
fans, a great bore for anyone else!

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter