Subject: [Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Mon May 1 11:49:07 2006

Philippe wrote, re: Lemans start -

Loved this warp back in time, Arche.

I've always wondered: what is the reason for/origin of this typical

start procedure: running to the car, etc instead of a grid start?

Some one else may know for certain, but I believe that, under the rules
for these classes of automobiles at the time, cars had to be startable
without outside ignition help- ie: had to have battery, ignition switch,
and starter motor built-in. Essentially they were jumped up road cars. I
believe they were also required to have at least a nominal trunk and
carry a spare tire. The race began from an absolute dead stop. Also-
what a spectacle!

Arche

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59 - OT!!)