Subject: [Leica] Why we photograph, artists who photograph, and HCB -goldenmean
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Wed Apr 12 15:31:59 2006

I never said that he had a secret formula. I never really thought much about
his images until I watched his documentary and he said that he relied very
highly on geometry. After looking at his work again, I immediately saw what
he was talking about. I guess I get tired of posting something only to have
it mutated into an imbecilic statement that is then sent out as something I
said. When I mentioned using older, European films and some of my older
lenses, suddenly I'm quoted as saying that I can be just like Capa or HCB by
going to the camera store. When I mention that HCB's documentary
demonstrates his use of geometry, something I hadn't noticed before, I'm
quoted as saying that if I use angles, I'll be just like HCB. I don't mind
taking heat when I say something imbecilic, but I'd prefer that it come out
of my mouth, not someone waiting to blindside me in front of a huge
audience. Having to defend myself until a thread dies out is just too much
work these days. When I see something like yesterday's crap, my first
impluse is to just say F**K Y*U, but there's nothing noble in that response
either.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com