Subject: [Leica] Re: new to DMR - What size cards to use
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Mar 25 05:17:31 2006

This is an excellent, excellent point and warning:

The fact that a card has a life-time guarantee may save you a few bucks if
it fails, but it will not save your priceless images - and in your specific
case Doug, your income-producing images that you go to super-human lengths
to produce. :-)

While higher resolution sensors, and therefore larger RAW images, have
necessitated going to larger-capacity SD/CF cards, I would stick with the
smallest card that will store a reasonable number of images - and in most
cases that is still about 2 gigs. That way, if a card crashes and you can't
recover all the images, you'll only be out 100 to about 150 images - 3 or
four rolls of film :-( - rather than a number I don't even want to
contemplate with the 8 gig cards.

And, yes, of course, it means buying more cards if you shoot a lot of images
at once, and it also increases the possibility of losing a card, but I still
think those inconveniences and risks are far, far outweighed by the risks of
having a full 8 gig card go south on you.

B. D.