Subject: [Leica] Re: new to DMR - What size cards to use
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Mar 25 07:11:46 2006

B.D.:

>And, yes, of course, it means buying more cards if you shoot a lot of images
>at once, and it also increases the possibility of losing a card, but I still
>think those inconveniences and risks are far, far outweighed by the risks of
>having a full 8 gig card go south on you.

How often does a full card totally fail and become completely unrecoverable?
Have any statistics?

I've seen no scientific studies, but the anecdotal evidence I've heard is
that one file or so becoming corrupted is the most likely scenario.  And
even that is fairly rare if common sense precaustions are taken.  (Such as
formatting the card with the camera you're using.)

Personally, I think the odds are better of bending a pin or misplacing a
card if you're swapping out cards frequently.  I have nothing to back this
up.  Just a gut hunch.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/