Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 10 Perplexed
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Mar 12 07:50:43 2006

Eric said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 10 Perplexed
>>> I believe you do a disservice to Don by saying this is just a throwaway
> shot.  I see more potential in this shot than just a quick one to pass
> around and then toss.<<<

Sorry Eric I believe you misunderstood my comment or I missed the correct
way to write it. More likely that.

I wasn't referring to Don's photo, I was referring to "your comment about
not liking the blown out screen" which is quite common and acceptable in
many cases... like who cares about the screen, it's only supplying light.
The photo was motivated from the screen light. But paramount is the mouth
expression that truly made the picture.

This is much like shooting a subject close to a window and the outside world
is nothing but blown out sky, like who cares? The picture is the person!
Without a lot of auxiliary lighting inside or bouncing flash, it's a grab
moment without thinking about balancing the outdoor light with the inside
figure. Nor even considering trying to balance the computer screen light to
the face of the operator.

My reference to ..."if he were shooting a paying assignment he'd probably
have shot it with a different thought to balancing the light."MAYBE!"  But
I'd bet this is a grab photo, on assignment or otherwise, simply because he
saw the person on the computer and the light doing it's motivating magic,
"shoot!" No other thought than that!

Certainly no disservice to Don for one iota! My remark was about your
comment "you didn't like the blown out screen!" And that my friend under
these kinds of situation quite frankly who gives a flying hoop, as the
picture is the operators face and mouth! Well lit.

>But given it's for the crew to have a quick look and forget it, I hardly
>think
>it's worth the time to bother fiddling and farting about with darkening the
>screen.<<

This means, "he has more to do with his time" than spend an hour trying to
light balance screen and face etc. when it's merely a quick shot for LUG
members to have a quick look, move on and forget it!

It has nothing to do with it being a poor picture by Don, so forget it, as
you are reading it.

ted