Subject: [Leica] Leica participation in 4/3rds format
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Feb 26 09:12:12 2006

Huh? I read this, but I don't really understand what is going on.

Does Leica intend to produce lenses for the 4/3 system themselves?

Would they be AF lenses? Has one of the alliance partners given
Leica a license or something to AF technology?

How about 4/3 camera bodies? Will they make these?

Does Leica really design these lenses (the one in the picture)?
Do they control QC on lenses with their name on them (like
Zeiss doing QC on ZM lenses made by Cosina).

What does Leica get out of this? How much money? For what
exactly?

If this is such a cozy alliance, does Leica now have access and
rights to all of the various design copyrights, mount and other
patents and so on surrounding the 4/3 format system?

What's the value of building a brand in the low end consumer
market if Leica isn't going to build and market products for
that market?  Or are they?

I'm not against it. I just don't understand it.

Scott