Subject: [Leica] Tina's issues with colors
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Feb 22 16:38:53 2006

Scott,
Interesting that you should ask this question.  DIMA, an industry trade
group, has been running a test for the past several PMA's.  Basically, they
let studio's digitally record a piece of art and then try to duplicate the
image through a digital work flow.  As of last March the differences between
the art and the reproduction was essentially zero.  If you looked very
carefully, specific shades were different than in the original.  When I
asked one of the participants, he explained that an artist could mix a color
with oil or acrylic paints that was so far out of the color space available
using any print materials available that there would continue to be specific
colors that did not register.

He continued that the trick was to keep the rest of the art piece color
accurate and then find a color that was in the same Pantone family that it
did not call attention to the difference either with the specific color or
with the harmony of the art work.

So, essentially, the state of digital capture and reproduction is good
enough that original art works can essentially be duplicated in appearance.
You can bet that museums and artists find this especially interesting.
Think of it as selling lithographs with an unlimited production run so that
while carefully labeled as a copy, would still generate income for the
museum and the artist.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com