Subject: [Leica] OT: world press winners 2006
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 11 15:52:59 2006
References: <am3qu15e0khbfraaqimv1kc3foefrqmlmd@4ax.com> <2AAA3644-4ABF-4AAE-9FA1-620CDD037340@pandora.be> <000e01c62ea0$8b791090$2ee76c18@ted> <8DA3B05F-F82C-456E-92F4-AC887E6D1E35@pandora.be> <43EE094B.3070606@planet.nl> <007701c62f38$48262010$2ee76c18@ted> <44FE2C66-8C77-4E91-98BE-653D8EBC480F@mindspring.com> <000b01c62f44$e7fcbde0$2ee76c18@ted> <0D77616D-D026-4200-B45E-5F9F9C2A19E6@mindspring.com>

ted said:
>>> As far as triviality in content? That's a crock simply because the
> subjects aren't being compared to decide the ultimate winner.

Ric Carter rebutted:
>>Unto each his own, but in my mind, eye and heart, a white chick in a
bathing suit banging her head on a diving board is trivial content
when viewed alongside a screaming Iraqi child bloodied when her
parents were killed by US soldiers. As always, no authority, just my
opinion.<<<<

>> a white chick in a bathing suit banging her head on a diving board is
>> trivial content  <<<

Like during world championships or Olympics and a once in a lifetime one
shot moment? For crying out loud the photographer's re-action to this action
was faster then you can spit! That's hardly trivial when it's a once in a
life time photograph.

>>>when viewed alongside a screaming Iraqi child bloodied when her
parents were killed by US soldiers. As always, no authority, just my
opinion.<<<<

But like I said before, in Iraq this kind of photo is a piece of cake
because it happens everyday!! That doesn't make it right, but it's sure a
hell of lot easier than banging one's head on the diving board while in full
diving action!

If the photographer misses the child on the first frame or two he's got lots
of time to expose more before the kid is carried off. Quite frankly a no
brainer picture opportunity and almost shot daily. And once again that
doesn't make it right!

Sure it's a travesty of life these days any where in the middle east, but
hitting ones head on a diving board any time, particularly during
international diving championships with the world's best athletes is a once
in a life time. If you miss it you can't wait for her to do it again in a
few minutes or come back the next day and re-shoot.

Your talking about the morality of the scene and not the photographer's
abilities to shoot faster than one can blink!

ted

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)
Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)