Subject: [Leica] OT: world press winners 2006
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 11 10:24:13 2006

Nathan Wajsman said:
> I must confess to being a bit jaded. The World Press winner is invariably
> some image from the misery du jour, whether a war or natural disaster or
> (as in this case) a famine.<<<

Hi Nathan,
Some folks never understand it's the disasters and death that usually win
just as you say. Being a good, bad or ugly technically good photograph
rarely if ever plays any part which photo wins. It's always been like that
and will always be like that.

It's no different when we hear people ooooohhhing and awiiiiing over a
series of pictures about famine in Africa and making claims of what a great
photographer this guy is because of what he shot! This kind of adoration of
the so called greatness of the photographer is a crock of BS. Hell he was
smart enough to go on his own or was assigned by his agency to do a series
on the disaster.

He arrives, there are bodies lying all over the place, dying kids with
bloated bodies and great big eyes starving to death. All he has to do is set
his camera's on auto everything, load  new rolls, stand in one spot, close
his eyes and make a 360 pirouette while the motor drive zings away!

And with 3 - 4 cameras all shot the same fashion he can go back with 120+
negatives of incredible disaster! And win the World Press Photo Award!

Then move onto the next disaster or war! That's how easy it is when your
standing in the middle of death and destruction!

>> I heard an interview with the
> chairman of the outfit yesterday, and he very much sounded like
> photographic excellence plays only a minor part in the selection of the
> overall winner. The selection committee's desire to highlight this or that
> tragedy is much more important.<<<<

Absolutely!! And that's been the call with many of these types of awards for
years.

It can be gut wrenching for any photographer to shoot this kind of stuff
over and over, after a while memory banks become twisted forever. Some you
never shake off completely.

I'm not saying it's a piece of cake to shoot this kind of stuff physically
or mentally, but it's a piece of cake when it's lying around in such vast
numbers you can't miss with a digi point and shoot! Of course if the
photographer picks all the worse cases, man you can't lose when it comes to
western world judges who live in nice homes and ocean side condos.

> To me this is also clear when looking at the images on the site--several
> of the images in the sports category or the other "non-hard news"
> categories are definitely superior (in a photographic sense) to the
> winning image.<<<

Again a great sports photograph has far more to do with the photographer's
ability to re-act to an athletes action, whatever that might be. Where
"death and destruction?" It just sits there waiting to be recorded.

Piece of cake!

ted

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)