Subject: [Leica] OT: world press winners 2006
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 11 11:54:07 2006

Ric Carter offered:
>>> http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index.php?

> I'm sorry guys, but did you look at the pictures? To infer that they  are
> the result of finding a disaster and flailing away with a motor  drive is
> unfair. No, I don't like every frame, but there are some  VERY strong
> images here. Did you actually look through all of them?<<<

Ric, I think you missed my point. I'm not saying they aren't good & great
photographs, they are.

But under the circumstances of an earth disaster like those during a Tsunami
or famine in Africa the subjects and picture moments are lying about in
hundreds of thousands! You can't hardly miss whatever you shoot if you have
any talent to be in such a location.

A very talented photographer can come away with amazing photography using
hardly any effort, other than keeping from puking your guts out or crying
while trying to shoot what's before you. Certainly, if one happens to be an
emotional jerk like I am.

I still stand by my motor drive comment because that's how easy it is in the
middle of a disaster beyond our normal western understanding, unless you've
been in the middle of something of this nature.

> One can perhaps debate that the sports photos are stronger  technically
> (though I'd question that), but alongside the others they  pale to
> triviality in their content.<<<

Quite frankly sports photography takes ten times the ability and reflexes to
capture the quick flashing moments of an athlete during competition.
Certainly compared to those of a disaster where you have all the time in the
world to take pictures.

As far as triviality in content? That's a crock simply because the subjects
aren't being compared to decide the ultimate winner.

> I'd have been DAMN proud to produce almost any of them.<<<

The complete LUG crew would say the same. And there are thousands more
photos entered that you never see that would make you believe the winning
selection by the "blind judges" is ridiculous. That's how good the losing
entries are in many cases.

This is one of the toughest competitions in the world to compete in, so the
over all level is extremely high, in many cases it's too bad everyone can't
win.Quite frankly being a judge at this level of competition is more
difficult than being a photographer covering the events themselves.

ted

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)
Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] OT: world press winners 2006)