Subject: [Leica] I have given up
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Feb 6 17:33:47 2006

At 08:16 PM 2/6/2006, you wrote:

>Digital wins.  I lose.
>
>Marc

That's depressing, Marc!  I know you can do it.  Take your basic
point and shoot and go out and play.  It doesn't cost anything.  You
can delete the mistakes.  When you have some photos that look nice on
the LCD screen, take your memory card to Walgreens and have them make
some prints.  It's cheap and easy.  When you decide you want to do
more with the photos, get a basic Photoshop how-to book and flip
through it.  You don't need to sit down and read it all, just use it
as a reference book and look something up when you have a
question.  Pretty soon you'll find that you are getting better
results than you ever could in the darkroom.  Photography will be fun
again. Then you will be frustrated with the limitations of your point
and shoot and you'll want a professional digital SLR.  Then you will
decide you can print the photos better and cheaper than Walgreens and
you'll get an Epson printer and some Ilford Gallerie paper.  After
you've amazed your friends with what you can do on the Epson, you'll
decide you want to experiment with other papers and inks.  That's
when you'll want to investigate the R (Raster) I (Image) P (Profile)
software.  You don't even need to think about it until you get to
that point.  I printed digitally for years without a RIP.  Don't let
it intimidate you.  Go for it.  I know you'll love it when you get
over the mental block!!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com