Subject: [Leica] scanning Xpans
From: ausdlk at swbell.net (David Keenan)
Date: Mon Feb 6 15:35:15 2006

>and don't even get me started about scanning Xpan negatives.

Totally.

I have acquired the Nikon SDK and am considering the creation of Xpan
specific scanning software for the Nikon 5000 scanner.

There is simply no good solution for scanning Xpan film. This really reduces
my desire to use this otherwise outstanding and truely fun to use camera.

The Nikon SDK, so far, is pretty dense and even the provided sample program
doesn't even compile.

But my idea is to position each frame so that the left side is scanned, then
the right side with about a 6mm overlap. Then dump these out to some
external stitching program while moving on the scan the next frame.

My goal would be to have a completely automated way to scan and stitch an
entire roll of Xpan frames.

How much would you pay for such a product...? :)

PS. I already have the URL to market such a product: www.XpanScan.com. (No
content yet.)

Dave.
--