Subject: [Leica] no film in a decade
From: cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran)
Date: Sat Jan 21 16:21:32 2006

Digital filmaking is growing faster than some expected but the virtues
of digital filmaking still lay in speed of production, distribution and
immediacy of the post process.
A good example is Star Wars Episode III. In the DVD there is a good
explanation of the process of bringing a digital movie to the
audiences.
In aesthetic terms it is very far from film. But, and this is a big
but, new generations are growing up in the digital age visually
accustomed to pixels and the depth of field from digital cameras. I do
not have cable tv for one single reason, I can see every damn pixel and
jaggy line that comes from digital compression. Al the blacks crunched
so as to loose definition in the shadows, too many blown whites.. but
you know what, nobody really cares or take notice and I believe that
the reason lies in the fact that the common human looks for content and
not for aesthetics. Must understand a general idea that something is
beautiful but react more to emotions.

The speed that digital technology brings to the filmaking process is
evident in family oriented movies, comedies and the sort, where image
is not an important factor to tell the story.
Many of these films are shot in video and we don't even know it.

The new and, may I add, staying trend is what is known as Digital
Internegative, where movies are shot on film and then scanned into a
computer, color corrected (which was called timing on a lab) and then
output to  film again.
Now this is for theatrical releases. As we read and write, most of
Lifetime's movies are shot in digital video, originally in HD now they
don't see a reason for the costs and are shooting in Mini DV with the
new 24 frames a second cameras that give you the illusion of film.

I have seen video projections from all formats in the new JVC
projectors, it is really impressive. Two things stand out, no vibration
of the frames and no dust and scratches.
Obviously what really looks great is 35mm film transfered to HD and
seen in a Digital projector.

I hope I have not tired anyone, I have been quite quiet lately. So I am
compensating a bit.

peace

David