Subject: [Leica] no film in a decade
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Sat Jan 21 20:49:38 2006

I remember doing an internship at an NBC affiliate television station
while attending the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown circa 1975.
The news department was exclusively shooting 16mm movie film, which was
processed and edited by cutting and splicing.  I remember questioning
the station manager about the possibility of converting to the emerging
technology of video cameras.  His comment was, "It will never happen,
film looks better on air and is more reliable."  WIthin a couple of
years he was proven wrong as videotape was universally accepted.

A few years later I toured a Veeder-Root plant which built gas pumps.
The pumps they built were traditional with mechanical dials with
painted numbers that rotated to show how much gas was pumped and the
price.  Pumps with lighted number displays were starting to emerge and
when I questioned the plant manager he said, "LED displays will never
catch on -- they can't be read in the daylight and burn out.  A few
years later his  plant was closed, replaced by higher tech companies
that could manufacture lighted  dials.

As much as we may wish otherwise, things change.

Rob McClure
Upper Sandusky, OH