Subject: [Leica] OT: What about England
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Dec 13 11:42:54 2005

Peter,

In defence of Americans and ignorant Continentals, I must point out that
in most languages the word for the political entity UK is simply
"England". For example, "Anglia" in Polish. There are of course official
translations of the terms United Kingdom and Great Britain, but nobody
uses them in everyday language. I do distinguish between the UK and its
constituent parts, but only because I have several English and Scottish
friends, and especially the latter tend to be extremely prickly about
being lumped in with the English.

Actually, other countries are victims of similar linguistic confusion
too. For example, the place I live is commonly referred to as Holland by
  people in other countries, even though the real name is the
Netherlands, and "Holland" refers to the two provinces of North Holland
and South Holland. Or, take the common use of the term "America" to
denote the USA, even though we all know that "America" really should
mean the two continents of North and South America.

Nathan