Subject: [Leica] OT: What about England
From: pdzwig at (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Dec 14 13:57:54 2005

Woa, Nathan

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Peter,
> In defence of Americans and ignorant Continentals, I must point out that
> in most languages the word for the political entity UK is simply
> "England".

NOn, ce n'est pas Juste en francais on dit "Grande Bretagne" et aussi
Uni". Gross Brittanien in German etc etc
For example, "Anglia" in Polish.

Anglia is of corse England but words for Scotland and Wales also exist and
used, Ecosse, Pays des Galles etc
There are of course official
> translations of the terms United Kingdom and Great Britain, but nobody
> uses them in everyday language.

The problem is, of course, the predominance of English. However as English
is so
important in the US as are the historic links, one hopes for a little more

Replies: Reply from dlridings at (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] OT: What about England)
Message from pdzwig at (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] OT: What about England)
Message from nathan.wajsman at (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: What about England)