Subject: [Leica] OT: What about England NOW: Scotch barrels! ;-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Dec 12 17:42:08 2005

Adam Bridge asked:
>>An aside: Has anyone tried the McCallan Scotch that's aged in oak wine
barrels? It sure sounds mellow to me. Read about it in the Wall Street
Journal's article on Scotch that was out this weekend.<<<

Hi Adam,
In the case of single malt scotch it was and is aged in oak barrels.

In the early days when Sherry imported into England came from Spain there
was a bountiful number of ex-sherry casks available to fill the shortage of
plain Oak barrels. So the Sherry barrels began to add their "mellow" to the
finer selections of single malt scotch.

However, when the Brit's lost their taste for the volumes of Sherry, it
imported it seems the "Bourbon barrels" of the eastern USA. Those barrels
became known as "American Oak" barrels. I believe some distilleries still
import them from the USA.

Your quoted article from the "Wall Street Journal?"  Heaven forbid I should
suggest the writer might be wrong and meant " aged in Sherry barrels, not
wine ?" Sherry barrels it's a known fact to single malt drinkers?  Or users
for medicinal purposes, ;-) we know the best comes from aging in Sherry
barrels!"

Yes your, "It sure sounds mellow to me." is exactly where the mellow comes
from, the Sherry barrels.

However, if it truly is a "wine barrel"  then I stand corrected in the case
of the McCallan and will be flogged at sunrise of this following day! :-(
The good part?... I get an extra ration of single malt to off set the pain!"
;-) Therefore without question... "medicinal purpose as you can understand!"
Thank you sir. ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road