Subject: [Leica] Aperture on its way
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Nov 27 15:01:10 2005

I don't agree with you, Matt. There are several differences between
the G5 class desk-top machines and the G4's they replace - the largest
being in memory and memory-graphics bandwidth.

Because Aperture uses CoreGraphics extensively those are going to play
a really big part in its performance.

It's silly of Apple to design a high-performance application to be
backward compatible with its older machines because the application
technology has evolved since then and it's only going to get better as
their architecture improves (with future PowerPC machines and
ultimately with their shift to the next-generation Intel chips). So
for new applications I don't feel betrayed. I usually upgrade a
desktop system when the replacement is 5x the speed of the current one
and that will be the case this time (although just barely).