Subject: [Leica] Inspired by a film
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Nov 4 17:59:02 2005

I don't know the in's and out's of film any more. I stayed through the
credits and the print was by Technicolor but the last mention was of
Kodak Professional Film or words to that effect.

This does NOT look like a desaturated color print. The grain is
visible and used wonderfully. I think many in this group would find
the opening sequence, I'm thinking there were titles but i was lost in
the photography so if they were there I missed them <grin>. It's set
during an awards dinner, the sound of the room pushed deep into the
background while the jazz fills the sound-track. And the jazz
soundtrack is Just Fine too. All the great shots of PEOPLE and that's
who you see - the cinematographer really using the medium in ways
members of this group will both appreciate and applaud.

Well I do anyway. Maybe it'll inspire someone else to work in black
and white. Way to go George Clooney!

For me, a child of the 50s, this was incredibly evocative - everything
 just felt exactly right. And all that use of light and dark and
shades of grays - the imperfect skin - spirals of smoke rising into
black - the old studio equipment.

The actor doing Murrow has the voice absolutely nailed.

But go for a film that really understands black and white photography.
And be prepared to reach for the Tri-X, the real stuff with the grain.