Subject: [Leica] Inspired by a film
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Fri Nov 4 17:09:59 2005

On Nov 4, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Adam Bridge wrote:

> I'd love to know the film stock they used. Those great Panavision
> lenses were used to great advantage and the cinematographer certainly
> understands how to use black and white. Wow - talk about seeing the
> PEOPLE.

If it was shot on a true black and white stock, it probably was Kodak 5222,
which is similar to Super-XX (or double XX?). 5222 has been around for
decades
and is a real classic. It looks absolutely stunning, when projected.

Some people use 'short ends' of this stock for bulkloading 135 format
cartridges.
If I rememeber correctly you can develop it in D76, but I think Kodak
recommends
D-19. 5222 is a little grainier than Tri-X, but has as enormous exposure
range and
can easily be pushed. It looks a little like vintage 1950's/60 Tri-X. I
think Tom A.
has some experience doing this.

"The Man Who Wasn't There' was shot on color negative and then printed on
black and white
title print stock. the film is gorgeous, but to my eyes, it still looks like
color stock turned b/w.

I haven't seen the film, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if 'Good Night and
Good Luck' was
shot with period lenses from Cooke, Bausch&Lomb or Arri/Schneider. Visually
it's the difference
between a Summicron DR and the current version.

feli

Feli di Giorgio                 feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Inspired by a film)