Subject: [Leica] Digital M futures
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Nov 1 16:11:30 2005

Stefan mis-spoke himself. 3x the resolution is unachievable for such
a camera with basically the same sensor, minus the RGB filters. You
might get close to 1.2 to 1.5x the resolution in practical terms, but
never 3x. The old Kodak 760, which was the last dedicated B&W digital
camera, produced very nice shots with, I believe, a 6mp sensor. As
the Digital-M is to have no anti-alias filter, the difference in
resolution might be quite slight.

I think a 10.5Mp dedicated B&W Leica Digital-M might be competitive
with a 15-20Mp Bayer pattern camera, and might have better dynamic
range due to the lack of less light reaching the sensors because of
the lack of filters, but that's it. BUT, if that is the sort of
performance that is achievable (think DMR shots that are a bit better
resolution and with 2 stops more DR), then count me in. In todays
terms, that would be a dream come true for me. Unfortunately for
Leica, they'd have to get this thing out toot sweet, as digital
evolution waits for no manufacturer.