Subject: [Leica] New Album - take a look
From: clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni)
Date: Wed Sep 28 15:50:00 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:29 AM, <jhnichols@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Peter,
> Can you offer any explanation of the transmission in the Masserati
> 8CM?  The selector shown in Photo 7 resembles one for an automatic
> transmission.

Jim, I suspect that it's a "Wilson pre-selector" gearbox...a
semi-automatic transmission.  I've read that the 'clutch' pedal was
used conventionally to get the car moving, then from that point the
pedal was more of an actuator...the driver put the selector to the gear
he expected to use next, but that gear would not actually be selected
until he pushed the 'clutch' pedal...

Active update - appears I'm (egads!) correct:
http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri90a.htm - 6th paragraph down
indicates as much.

CZ
Useless Trivia, NC