Subject: [Leica] Hand Held Light Meter?
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Aug 22 11:22:23 2005

A number of selenium meters are really as tough as nails.  I love the
Weston Master IV, but in my own experience the IV and later Westons
are usually found in non-operating condition.  My IV has been working
fine since refurbished by Quality Light Metrics in 1997, but my V is
dead as a doornail.  On the other hand, I've come across several
Master II meters and have owned two of them.  All were in good working
order.  I actually prefer the design of the IV and V (the new Weston
Euromasters are identical to the V) because of the more readable dial,
but if you want bulletproof, you can't do better than a Master II.

Mind you, having been refurbished, I expect my Master IV to be good
for 40 years.

The Gossen Pilot is another bulletproof meter.  While it looks like a
cheap plastic bauble, it comes in a carrying case that appears to be
some tough polystyrene.  You can stand on this case and it will hold
your weight.  These meters are also dirt cheap and easy to find used.
Although I prefer the Westons for reflected light readings, at least
you don't have to search around for your Invercone when using the
Gossen Pilot.

Mark

Mark