Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the ZI rangefinder
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Wed Jun 29 11:03:55 2005

I'm with Gene on this.  Debates about "true" pedigrees are reminscent
of those concerning whether the Leicas made in Portugal or Canada are
real Leicas, or whether Solms is as authentic as Wetzlar, or (to apply
it to other marques) to whether the Singapore Rolleis are worthy of
the same name as the Germany Rolleis.  Are co-engineered cameras as
"Leica" as those that were completely developed by the wizards of
Wetzlar?  I suppose that there is some snob quality in being
exclusionary, but one has to wonder where this kind of reasoning will
end.  Is the Super Angulon not a Leica lens?  Is a Contax TVS not a
Contax?  In the age of globalization, I think strict distinctions
about what constitutes a "real" Leica or a "real" Zeiss are a waste of
time.  A Leica CL is a real Leica, whether it was a collaborative
effort or not.  I happen to have a Minolta CLE, which I consider to be
a real Minolta.  In many ways, it is an improved Leica CL.  I don't
care.  I can mount M lenses on it, and it does the job and gives me as
much pleasure as any of my "real" Leicas.  That's all that is
important.

Mark (who is stepping off his soapbox now)