Subject: [Leica] new Puts article
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Jun 25 05:02:08 2005

Well one thing I find both amusing and revelatory about it is what it says
about Putz's lack of understanding of pretty much anything having to do with
photography in the real world. While I do not for a minute contend that the
Olympus E-1 comes anywhere near the Canon D20 or EOS1DMK2 in terms of low
noise level- would that it did!- to contend that the camera is " not usable
at ISO 400 and higher and even excellent programs like Noise Ninja cannot
cope with the massive noise the E-1 generates" shows a complete lack of
understanding of what one gets when shooting film at high isos, to say
nothing of digital.

I have been using the E-1 almost exclusively for about two years now -
shooting everything from street stuff to weddings, to a book jacket, to
operating rooms - and I rarely use it below400 iso, and probably use it at
800 the majority of the time. At 800 I sometimes use Noise Ninja, but
certainly not more than half the time - if that, although I always run it if
I shoot at 1600 - and I have yet to have a client of any kind say "what's
this noise?" or "why is this so 'dirty?' Or "what's with the grain."

(Keep in mind that virtually everything I've posted at the gallery over the
past year or more has been shot digitally, most with the E-1, some with even
smaller sensor cameras that Erwin would rightly describe as really noisy,
and yet only very rarely has anyone said anything about noise - and it's not
as though there aren't people on this list who wouldn't love to criticize.
;-) )

What Erwin has revealed here is his view that for photography to be
acceptable, images must be shot on the finest grain film available, in
bright light. And while there is nothing wrong with shooting under those
conditions, they hardly define photography.

Now, will Olympus be able to reduce the noise generated by the small 4/3
sensor and will they be able to do so while going from a five to an 8-10-or
12 meg sensor? I wish I new.

B. D.*

*Reminder - I am sponsored by Olympus and get free equipment from them.