Subject: [Leica] new Puts article
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sat Jun 25 09:16:25 2005

On Jun 25, 2005, at 6:01 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Well one thing I find both amusing and revelatory about it is what
> it says
> about Putz's lack of understanding of pretty much anything having
> to do with
> photography in the real world.

I agree with BD on several counts here.

First off, if noise or grain is that detrimental to image usefulness
- note I did not say total quality - then none of us would have been
using 35mm in the first place, and this would be a medium or large
format users group. Yes, very noisy, pixelated early digital images
were inferior to good 35mm, but that boundary has long since been
crossed in favor of digital, IME.

Second, after using that borrowed R-D1 with my Leica M lenses, and a
slew of Canon film lenses on my 10 and 20Ds, I can say that if there
is a loss in quality versus dedicated digital lenses, then it is a
difference that makes no difference. The Leica lenses and better
Canon film lenses both perform brilliantly in digital capture.

As a former Olympus user, I do hope that Maitani's emphasis on
compact cameras of highest quality comes back into their company
culture. In other words, I hold out hope that Oly will produce that
extremely high quality digital camera in a smaller, easy to carry size.

In the meantime, my Sony DSC-V3 just chugs along as my very competent
point and shoot rangefinder substitute.

Will von Dauster

Boulder, Colorado