Subject: [Leica] You do make backups, don't you?
From: ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben)
Date: Wed Jun 22 20:37:27 2005

Hi Daniel

Back in 1999 - about 3 weeks after I purchased my company - a uneven current
"burst" blew 3 external SCSI disks - one working as a "mirror backup" one
Scratch disk and one data disk - Total loss of 80 GB data - a lot in 1999
terms.

It almost killed my company because my insurance company was total idiots. I
had sent the Disks to the only company in Denmark (called BMI) that are
experts in data rescue (the can fix a disk from a laptop after a house fire)
but the guy from the insurance company who knew nothing of computers wanted
"his good friend" to examine the disks first to determine if my claim was
covered by the insurance. Of cause I refused as the result would be that I
could newer again se my data - and becaus the rescue company had already
made a repport with the facts needed.

After 4 month and after engaging my lawyer they finally gave in and gave a
"green light" for the data rescue - about USD 32000 or 400 USD pr. GB data!
This started in july  and ended in november and prevented me from finishing
2/3 of my "fall programme" wich really sucks when you are a publisher.

I was at that time suposed to be covered by both a "data loss insurance" and
a "loss of income" insurance! - I had E&Y to calculate my loss at  about
250000 USD - but somewere with very fine print the insurance company had a
clausule saying that if the "data loss" insurance was in use the "loss of
income" insurance was not valid !

As the insurance company was directly to blame of my loss in income because
of their handling of things my lawyer told me that we could win a case
against them but the cost and time would be more then I could handle! (It
was a "tuff" start being a newly owner of a company)

Anyway before all this we had experienced both hard drives, mother boards,
scanners etc. that had been "blown" by either mal-currents-lightnings or as
we believed just plain bad luck.

After that last experience in 1999 we got into UPS - (uninterupted power
suplies or something like that) - not the small cheap ones by Aps - but some
german heavy duty ones (Liebner i think ) - looks like a tower computer but
weighs about 80 pounds.  It has a totally "alcalic?? ((sorry not sure what
that is called in english))" seperation between the incoming current and the
current that is sent to the computers - it has 1/2 hour battery capacity for
8 computers and ad ons. You can fire 400000 volts into them and the computer
will never know.

I have not had one break down since I started using UPSs- not one
malfuntioning board, disk or anything - no blue screens and the sound of the
computers are smooth as the get a very even power supply.

These UPS-machines are not cheap about 2-3000 USD but if you look arround
for auctions selling high end computer gear etc. from big companys that has
gone broke you can find one very cheap I have seen them at about USD 200 -
it might have a battery with only 1/3 of its capacaty left but that is still
plenty for you to be able to shut down everything in good time.

Using a UPS have been the investment I have done in computers ever so if you
stumple over one do not hessitate to buy one. The only thing that I do not
use on the UPS suplied power is Laserprinters because they draw to much
current when they engage the heating elements.

Good luck with recovering you machine

best

Ruben