Subject: [Leica] Digital: colour rendition and image quality REPLY
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun May 8 04:33:57 2005

I have now read all of the mails posted...I  am going to attempt to
telescope my
replies into one.

Firstly thanks as ever for being a wonderful resource.

I should have added that I was doing it all in a hurry, as I had been told
that
they were being shipped mid-next week, in the event they shipped out on
Friday -
less than 24 hours after I finished working. Don't ask about that one!!

I should also have said that the aim was to produce a reference CD not
actually
print from them.

Having been brought up with colour rendition in art books as a major subject
of
contention. My father worked in the print industry for some forty years to
support us. As a result I was aware of the difference between image, film
and
print quality, but interested by the difficulty the D1 has in areas which I
thought would have been addressed.

[My father always contended that the best pictures of paintings were in B&W;
that way you could see the structure of the painting]

WB? - sorry but a D1 doesn't have any. Groan!

Colour card? - yes probably the way I should have gone, but time precluded
me
from doing so see above.

Lighting levels? not that constant. We were using daylight away from mid-day
try and maintain a reasonable level of natural light, but colour variation
and
light variation was certainly causing problems; though not the sort that I
was
talking about.

Were the pigments metamerismic? Don't know honestly. The issue here seems to
be
one of colour rendition. The lighting was fairly constant.

Focus? I tried the pictures in question twice, because I presumed that it
was
not me and I have come to the conclusion that it might be a quantisation
effect.
What we are talking about here is something akin to clouds of colours
merging,
with not a large tonal range between them, but adequate for resolution by
eye at
the "film plane".

Thanks again for all your help.

Peter