Subject: [Leica] Digital: colour rendition and image quality
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sat May 7 11:40:04 2005

Peter Dzwig wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have just spent a few days photographing and recording some of my
> late father's paintings before they were sent on semi-permanent loan
> to the University of Torun in Poland.
>
> I decided for fairly obvious reasons to use my D-1 to take digital
> images of the  70-odd paintings which have been shipped. I was
> horrified at the variation in colour between the painting itself, what
> I saw on the screen and what I actually got on the SD card. Of course
> I am aware that my eye and the camera don't have the same response
> characteristics; but interestingly I could do little to get the camera
> to come close...
>
> Is this my D-1, is it common or is there some reasonable explanation?

Don't be at all surprised. This will *always* be the case whenever you
attempt to accurately reproduce colors by digital or film or any other
technique.

You must use a profiled workflow. What you can do is take a shot of an
IT8 target with your camera. This will allow you to get an ICC profile
for the particular lighting environment w.r.t your camera (you want to
use RAW images).

You need to profile your monitor, printer, inks and paper.

When done you will get *more* accurate colors, assuming the gamut of
your imaging system is adequate to capture the gamut of the paints.

For example, the gamut of Ektachrome is larger than the gamut of any
printing technique -- particularly with bright yellows as I recall.

> Further, my father painted largely abstract works (you might describe
> him as an abstract expressionist, but it's not particularly accurate).
> On those where the boundaries between areas of colour were not
> distinct the camera appeared to have difficulty in producing a sharp
> image. The opposite being true where there were strong boundaries. I
> am coming to the conclusion that the image-reconstruction algorithms
> taking the output from the chip and building the resultant image in
> memory must have been fooled. Any thoughts??

Perhaps the images are not in focus? Also this is where you really need
hi-bit e.g. 16 bits/channel images. Very subtle changes in color can
get quantized away with 8 bits/channel.

Accurate reproduction is harder than you might initially consider.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Digital: colour rendition and image quality REPLY)