Subject: [Leica] Leica DM(?)
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Dec 31 03:45:33 2004

The DMR has a 26.4 x 17.6 mm sensor, ie 1,37 times smaller than a
standard 35mm frame. AFAIK Nikon have settled on a sensor 1.5 times
smaller than a standard 35mm film frame for their digital SLRs. Even
their highest resolution camera has a sensor of this size and they have
started to produce many lenses optimised for this size and not covering
36x24. Some if not all the sensors they use are Sony made. I don't
think we will ever see larger chips from Nikon. Canon seem odd in that
they have 3 different sensor sizes, the largest is 36x24 and, again
AFAIK, these sensors are Canon designs unavailable elsewhere.
I don't actually expect large sensors to be ever common. Digital
sensors seem to be much better than film on an area basis, in that P&S
digital cameras produce customer satisfying images from sensors smaller
than one's fingernail, Minox film is much bigger than this and produces
results nowhere close to where digicams are now.
The dilemma (my dilemma!) is that I wish to use my existing lenses and
am not always happy to have, effectively, an involuntary crop of the
centre of the frame. I do expect that this will effectively be a
permanent issue which each buyer will have to decide on.
Frank