Subject: [Leica] Leica DM(?)
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 09:53:11 2004

> The reason the sensor in the DMR is smaller than a standard 35mm frame
> is so that the various bits of gubbins round the sensor fit into the
> film gate. Until a sensor with rear connections and very different
> geometry is developed a 36x24 surface sensor will not be able to fit
> into a camera designed for film. This will also be true for a back for
> an M, which would still have been my favoured option had it been practical.
> --Frank Demie
---------------------------------
Frank,

How much smaller than 36x24 array would the DMR's be? Would it be larger
than
the one in the D70? As for the DM(?), would the engineering be of a
different
order in the future, or the same as you suggest now?

The fact that Leica Solms is taking a lot of time to develop the DM models
seems to indicate that they are solving the 24x36 pixel array. I believe
that
full frame 36x24 digital reflexes are on the market sold by Kodak and Canon
with
hefty price tags. I think Nikon developed them. But I may be wrong.

Bob

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Leica DM(?))