Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Fri Oct 8 01:15:39 2004

> At 07:01 PM 10/7/2004, you wrote:
>>Unfortunatley insurance isn't much use when you arrive in Managua or Addis
>>Ababa or wherever and your cameras have been stolen/damaged beyond repair
>>and you then can't do your job......
>>
>>tim
>
> Amen!  We absolutely have to carry the cameras on board, not only because
> they might be stolen if checked, but do you remember the story about Ted's
> M7's that were checked and destroyed!  The checked luggage is thrown
> around carelessly by minimum wage workers who could care less if anything
> in your luggage is fragile.  If you check your cameras and arrive at your
> destination, pick up the luggage and then go on several hours or days to
> Timbuktu or wherever, discovering when you get there that your cameras no
> longer work, what can you do?  Insurance is no good in those circumstances
> which are normal for many working photographers.  I don't let my cameras
> out of my sight when I'm traveling; therefore, I have to carry them on
> board.
>
> Tina
>

> Tina Manley, ASMP
> www.tinamanley.com

Of course it is do you want to pay for professors with herniated disks to
carry your bags?
You have to pack properly and use good cases .Backpacks are the worst.
There is a good reason why the plastic suitcases are so popular.
The contents should be able to survive the same shocks as the outer shell.
Which means you should be able to drop it from a first story window.
How many M7,s can one fit in a legal carry on 40?

Message from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)