Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane/batteries
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Fri Oct 8 01:22:17 2004

> At 06:58 PM 10/7/2004, you wrote:
>>How about taking batteries in your hand luggage? Is this OK? Is there a
>>limit to the number of batteries one can take? I know some types of
>>batteries (like lithium D cells) must not be taken on aircraft, but what
>>about CR123 or lithium AA cells? This has been a source of a lot of
>>speculation on another list I'm on, and  no one seems to know the rules.
>
> Twice I have had security refuse to allow me to carry batteries in my
> carry-on luggage.  I had to go back to the airline desk, request a box,
> and check them.  Now I pack all spare batteries in my checked luggage.
> They won't be harmed by the luggage x-rays or by rough handling.  You just
> have to worry if they are stolen or lost. ;-)
>
> Tina
>

> Tina Manley, ASMP
> www.tinamanley.com

The problem is with batteries in a circuit and some batteries posing an
explosion hazard.
Last year there was a clear security warning on explosives in small consumer
cameras.
Any checked bag with those inside should have been opened.
A battery by itself poses no hazard in a checked bag.
Now in carry on it gets more complicated since attempts are now made daily
to board explosive devices in parts in several pieces of carry ons belonging
to different passengers.If you find yourself on a flight which might be
considered high risk for whatever reason personel will go beyond the
regulations.Be glad that they do.
By the way i never had any problems with film or batteries in places like
Guatemala.
You must go to amazingly remote places.
best regards
simon jessurun

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)
Message from jbilin at axionet.com (Jacques Bilinski) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)