Subject: [Leica] flash photography techniques
From: joecodi at clearsightusa.com (J. Codispoti)
Date: Mon Oct 4 15:05:04 2004

Howard,

There are many points to consider:

Fall-off at the background happens in all flash
situations, direct or bounced.

The flash look can be preferable to the dark eye
sockets and lack of separation between subject and
background produced by inadequate ambient
lighting.

While direct flash may not be as pleasing as
available light, the short exposures will give
ultra sharp images (that should please Leica
users). Besides remember that "available light" in
many cases means that flash is readily available.

Flash can be used to enhance the ambient light
rather than supplant it.

The Vivitar 285 is very versatile. Here are some
suggestions:

Shoot with fast film according to meter settings
(meter the highlights such as faces) and fill the
shadows with 1/16 or 1/8 power settings of your
flash.

Shoot according to meter settings (meter the
highlights such as faces) and fill with the flash
on auto but set at a higher ISO (1 to 3 stops).
This will give you less fill that "full power".

Point the flash to the ceiling (good luck if the
ceiling is high) but point it slightly forward.
This will give a ratio of direct and fill light
and is particularly successful if you have to
cover a long area.

Above all, PRACTICE BEFORE the assignment so you
know how your equipment will perform.

Good luck,
Joe