Subject: [Leica] Re: flash photography techniques
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Mon Oct 4 14:35:54 2004

Howard:

>       On ASA 400 film, exposure would be something like f/2.0 at 1/30,
>and the pictures would still look horrible because of the
>contrasty light. (I've been there and done that.)

If you're set on using a flash...

If f2 at 1/30 is fast enough, I'd use the flash for fill.  Set it on -1 2/3
stops or something like that.  Fire away.  It will help lower the contrast,
but still won't be your main light that causes the nasty deer-in-headlights
look.  :)

If f2 at 1/30 isn't fast enough, I'd move up to 1600 speed film, and still
use the flash for fill.

Otherwise...

>So, no matter what
>you do, you have the backlight from Hell.

It's only backlight from hell if you treat it as such.  Otherwise, it's
directional light with potentially lost of contrast and flare opportunities.
This is where you thank the Solms deities that you have Leica glass.  Use
your hood and fire away.  Don't use any filters, and you may be surprised
just how well flare can be controlled.

My "backlight from Hell" shot...

http://canid.com/johanna/reading_together.html

--