Subject: [Leica] flash photography techniques
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man)
Date: Mon Oct 4 12:52:11 2004

At 12:28 PM 10/4/2004, Howard Sanner wrote:

>         I know it is extremely un-PC to talk of using flash with a Leica.
> I strongly dislike most flash photographs, too, but in this situation I
> don't know how else to solve the problem.

If you don't need very high powered flash, get yourself a SF-20. Set it to
TTL, -2/3 to -1 1/3 and shoot away. 80% of your pictures will be quite
decent. Certainly plenty good enough for snap shots. The major pitfalls are
the usual: if it's 1 or 2 people in the middle of a huge room, you are
going to get really dark background. If you are too close, their face will
burn. If they are too close to the wall, there will be shadows etc.

Do try it with a roll of film. You can get a SF-20 used for under $200.

use richard at imagecraft.com)