Subject: [Leica] flash photography techniques
From: flagstad at mindspring.com (Howard Sanner)
Date: Mon Oct 4 12:29:10 2004

        I know it is extremely un-PC to talk of using flash with a Leica.
I strongly dislike most flash photographs, too, but in this
situation I don't know how else to solve the problem.

        In about a month I have to take pictures at a friend's retirement
party. He's retiring the day before his 80th birthday after
something like 54 (or is it merely 53?) years' outstanding
service at the Library of Congress. His total federal service is
several years more, owing to his having been in the Army in WWII.

        The party is being held in a horrible room. One wall is a
floor-to-ceiling window that faces southwest. So, no matter what
you do, you have the backlight from Hell. (Don't suggest closing
the curtains. Nobody'll go for it. Changing the room is also not
an option.) The artificial light comes from 100W incandescent
light bulbs recessed in individual soffits in the ceiling. They
provide *extremely* contrasty light that points straight down.

        On ASA 400 film, exposure would be something like f/2.0 at 1/30,
and the pictures would still look horrible because of the
contrasty light. (I've been there and done that.)

        I'm going to use my M6 and whatever lenses seem appropriate,
probably mostly the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux. I have a Vivitar 285 flash.

        I know, having tried it, that bouncing the flash off the ceiling
(fortunately white) will produce less bad pictures than direct
flash with its shadowy "halo" around objects. What I'm mostly
worried about is the light in the background falling off. I've
done some photography there previously with an M3 and the Vivitar
285 angled at 45 degrees. The results weren't too bad, but I wish
there had been more light in the background.

        Any suggestions? I've read of using a sync speed slower than 1/50
to give more exposure to the background. What speed is likely to
work well? I realize that with flash it is the short duration of
the flash that mostly serves to freeze subjects.

        I do have access to the room from time to time and would be
willing to experiment there with a roll of film.

        Thanks for any ideas. I'd like this to come out as well as
possible for my friend.

                                        Howard Sanner
                                        flagstad@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: flash photography techniques)