Subject: [Leica] Consider This...
From: attinasi at mac.com (Marc Attinasi)
Date: Wed Sep 29 21:01:06 2004

The future of lenses will be very different, and maybe Leica will not
be optical experts in the digital realm. Consider that digital cameras
can and will correct for certain optical aberrations and distortions in
the camera or in the computer; this will change the design parameters
of the lenses completely. I think the lens designs and the software
will have to be developed lock-step to make the best imaging possible
in the digital world. Maybe Leica lens designers can adapt, but I
rather think that the winners in the digital lens market will also be
involved in the software side, making the optical and the logical work
together to achieve the best quality at the lowest cost. If Leica can
adjust to that, why can't then adjust to the new digital camera market
demands? Maybe they just need a more inspired owner...

- marc

On Sep 29, 2004, at 7:58 PM, John Collier wrote:

> Not really.
>
> Right now Zeiss is pulling itself back into the rangefinder market
> using Leica's coat tails as the patent has expired on the M mount. It
> is very unlikely that the Zeiss would succeed if it had a proprietary
> mount. They need the installed base of Leica users if their product is
> going to have a chance to make it. If Leica stops making bodies then
> all Zeiss/Cosina has to do is make a small change in the mount and
> then patent it. This would then shut Leica out and, shortly after,
> down. Basically all Leica's marbles are in the digital M. It has to be
> good and not too long away. Time will tell.
>
> Time will also tell with the new Zeiss digital rangefinder as well. It
> is not that long ago that they had another still born digital project.
>
> John Collier
>
> On Sep 29, 2004, at 4:38 PM, B. D. Colen wrote:
>
>> Now THIS makes sense - Better a selective line of the world's best
>> rangefinder lenses, than a collection of red, green, and snakeskin
>> clad
>> bodies... ;-)
>>

>> From Buzz Hausner
>>
>>> Leica gets out of the rangefinder body business entirely.  It seems
>>> that
>>> other manufacturers are settling on the M mount as the industry
>>> standard
>>> for interchangeable lens digital bodies.  Why reinvent the lens