Subject: [Leica] Consider This...
From: attinasi at mac.com (Marc Attinasi)
Date: Thu Sep 30 11:33:14 2004

Come on, guys, digital imaging is in its infancy. If you think the current
state of the art is anything like what we will see in 20 years then you are
not using your imaginations :-)  Digital imaging is growing much faster than
film-based imaging ever did;  looking at this year's products is extremely
short-sighted in this context.

Software corrections of optical aberations are already being done, as Dennis
said, in the computer (PhotoShop plugins). It may be a longer time before
the cameras do the fixes, but it will happen. The lens used to make the
image, along with the focal length, distances, aperture, etc. are all easily
recorded, and the image converter can use this information, along with
profiles of the lenses, to adjust field curvature, barrel distortion, etc.
This has been discussed by several leading camera manufacturers who realize
that the game has change - I'm not making this stuff up! ;-)

My point was simply that the future of optical design for digital imaging
purposes will, in all likelihood, require in depth knowledge of software
systems in addition to refractive indices and the like. Leica will have to
learn new skills or become irrelevant. I think they can do it, don't get me
wrong there - I give the Leica engineers a lot of credit. They just need a
new owner, one that understands what it means to design and make imaging
equipment.

Cheers!
- marc