Subject: [Leica] LUG Demographics (was Leica donation to students)
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Sun Sep 26 11:24:05 2004

Well, then I'm wrong about the core demographic, if the LUG is a
representative cross-section of what Leica aficionados are like. I stand
corrected. Well, maybe I should qualify that--I'll say I'm only half-wrong.
;-)

My impression of the demographic buying new gear, this year, right now, may
be more on target than what the LUG represents. Since I sell new gear every
day, I am very much in touch with my audience, and I make an attempt to find
out as much as I can about my clients when they come to me as I can, if only
to better understand what their needs are. If buying frequency is any
indication of anything, there are folks buying who can afford one and two
bodies, and more than two or three new lenses. They aren't the majority of
the buying audience, but they are a substantial presence in it.

There is also a difference between the demographic of people buying new gear
vs those buying 'previously enjoyed.' (There's that phrase again!). I don't
know how much of the LUG is comprised of 'new gear buyers' as opposed to
'previously-enjoyed gear buyers.' That would be interesting to know.

Kit