Subject: [Leica] LUG Demographics (was Leica donation to students)
From: wlarsen at ocsnet.net (Will)
Date: Sun Sep 26 11:10:57 2004

Kit McChesney writes:

>Well, what would be really interesting is to examine Leica's consumer survey
>results that we hope people send back when they purchase cameras and lenses.
>Who IS buying? Are there youngish folks buying? My experience with my sales
>is that the majority of buyers of M and R gear, and the Digilux 2, are
>between about 35 and 65, are male, and have relatively substantial incomes
>(doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc., a demographic not unlike that of the
>LUG-list).

A few years ago, the lug had a "roll call" where many LUG subscribers
disclosed a lot of things about themselves.  One of the interesting
things that I found in the disclosures was that LUGGERS were not
predominately doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. nor were generalizations
about income levels being predominately at the higher end correct.

The commonality seemed to be that a majority of the members had
developed an avid interest in photography by their late teens.  Many had
their first Leica equipment in their teens or early 20s.  I think the
LUG membership age was pretty close to your experience of 35- 65
years-of-age.  I would suggest that buyers of new Leica cameras and
lenses does not reflect the same demographics as the users on the LUG list.

With regards,
Bill Larsen, Terra Bella, CA

Replies: Reply from leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney) ([Leica] LUG Demographics (was Leica donation to students))