Subject: Digital M/Digital Rebel was Re: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Sep 23 22:19:27 2004

Peter Klein wrote:

> Jim:  I have no examples.  It just follows logically.  On humble Web
> Jpegs, I can see drastic differences, wide-open or nearly so, between the
> 35 'Lux asph and its predecessor, or even the pre-asph 35/2 Summicron
> wide-open.  Even the humble 3 megapixel 1/1.8 sensor on my Nikon Coolpix
> 990 can resolve greater detail than can be shown on a Web jpeg, so I'm
> certain a 6mp DSLR can show it, too.  Ergo. . .
>
> Also note that Nathan (and others) have noted that they can see the
> difference on Canon DSLR shots between their Leica R lenses and the Canon
> or Sigma lenses.

Peter is right. The difference is clear. I don't care what the science
says, I don't know about what kind of anti-aliasing filter or whatever
my Canon 10D has. But I do know that when I put the 100mm Apo Macro on
it I get better pictures than I do with the Canon 85mm lens (which is no
slouch either), and when I put my newly aquired Canon 17-40mm L zoom on
it, the pictures are much better than those I got with the (now sold)
Sigma 17-35mm. All this talk about how with digital sensors lens quality
does not matter is bunk, based on my experience.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands