Subject: Digital M/Digital Rebel was Re: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Sep 24 10:21:01 2004

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Peter is right. The difference is clear. I don't care what the science
> says, I don't know about what kind of anti-aliasing filter or whatever
> my Canon 10D has. But I do know that when I put the 100mm Apo Macro on
> it I get better pictures than I do with the Canon 85mm lens (which is
> no slouch either), and when I put my newly aquired Canon 17-40mm L
> zoom on it, the pictures are much better than those I got with the
> (now sold) Sigma 17-35mm. All this talk about how with digital sensors
> lens quality does not matter is bunk, based on my experience.

I suspect that most differences between shall we say the Leica 100 Apo
Macro and the Canon Eos 100 Macro when imaged with a 6 mp sensor could
be 'fixed' with judicous Photoshop USM, curves and levels etc. For Web
JPEG images I would be rather surprised if this were not the case.

That is not to say that each lens may not have a unique 'signature' but
highly corrected lenses ought not have such strong signatures that
photoshop could not fix. Now on the other hand using a 22 mp sensor I
would not make such a conjecture.

I admit this is all conjecture as I've not tested these lenses side by
side on specific 6 mp cameras etc., but having looked into these issues
once or twice in the past,. I would be willing to bet that after
sufficient photoshop manipulation you'd not be able to find either a
Canon or Leica engineer willing to put money on a wadger that they'd be
able to tell the pictures apart.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) (Digital M/Digital Rebel was Re: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) (Digital M/Digital Rebel was Re: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica)