Subject: Digital M/Digital Rebel was Re: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Fri Sep 24 05:18:07 2004

I concur with Nathan. And have the same experience with Nikon DSLR.

17-35 f2.8  and an 18-35 f3.5 side by side on the same camera (D100) under
the same studio lights produce different pictures. Done it, proved it. It is
noticable on the monitor and coming out of the printer.

A good lens is better than a bad lens, even with a lame CCD or CMOS chip.

The TV video shooters have known this for a long time. They talk about their
Fujinon, Schneider and Canon lens the same way we do but they have been
doing for much longer in regard to digital tech. They went through the same
thing with the switch from film to video for TV news gathering.

I do this day in and day out, under any and all conditions.
Good lens make better pictures in any format.

All other photographic values being equal, the failure of image quality of
digital is in the chip and the A/D conversion process and this is what we as
photographers have to overcome... So we need to improve what we can (lenses
and lighting) and hope the boys in engineering get the rest right
...sometime ...and the marketing suits actually listen to what people want.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com
Independent journalism from