Subject: [Leica] M magazine
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Aug 19 13:51:48 2004

It's a good point made that Capa was hip. HCB hung around
with the most pretentious, self-consciously navel-gazing art
crowd you can imagine, Andre Breton and the surrealists,
and did his first commercial work, IIRC, for one of Breton's
surrealist/communist (go figure on that mix!) publications
in the 30's.

But anyway, whatever their work product or public persona, it
shouldn't surprise folks that artists are typically, well, artists! You
know, the self-consciously artsy, elite hipster types :-)  The
public product and private person don't have to match up.

Weird examples (not photogs): quintisentially "American idol"
Cary Grant was a bisexual Brit who liked halucinagenic drugs;
real "down home" country musician Bonnie Raitt grew up in
New York and went to Harvard (my alma matter).  Here's
another really weird one. "Dukes of Hazard" Boss Hog went
to Harvard too. Yup!  In real life, he was a "Dunster House Tea
at 5:00" type of guy.

You get the idea. Have fun, add your own examples. It's not
very hard!

So back to M and photogs, even if they do-or-have-done photo
journalism work that we all adore, it doesn't mean that they
themselves necessarily view that work as their best. Maybe, but
maybe not.  Maybe that just pays the bills. Maybe they like to
travel. Of course, maybe some do view their journalism work
as their highest calling.

But we shouldn't necessarily assume so. Just as likely, I'd wager
that some, maybe many (no, not all!!!) really, really elite photogs
are a bunch of somewhat "artsy fartsy" types who might have
gone to nice schools, have a yearning desire to "do something
new with the medium" and so on and so forth. What do you
want? They're artists.

But I haven't seen "M", so I'm not claiming it doesn't totally
suck :-)

Scott