Subject: [Leica] M magazine
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Thu Aug 19 12:40:44 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 12:13, B. D. Colen wrote:
> Well, Feli, keep in mind that Robert Capa was exceedingly hip - not
> suburban - but hip enough to hang out in Hollywood, be Ingrid Berman's
> lover for a while, pal around with Hemmingway, etc. etc. He bounced
> back and forth between wars and the Town and Country set.... ;-)

True, but at least he knew how to frame a shot and I think if you dared
to call "Papa" a hip poser to his face he would have told you to go
perform an anatomically impossible act or done worse. ;-)

I don't know, maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, but the mag
just doesn't say anything. Lots of impersonal wide angle shots that say
more "I was here" than  "I was here and THIS happened to THIS
person/people". Lots of Diane Arbus type shots of people lined up
staring in to the camera like a GAP add or specimens at a entomology
exhibit, all printed in over saturated colors.

If you were looking for something like "The Country Doctor", it's not
here. It just seems all over the map. More "art" photography than
journalism, from an agency that made it's name as the gold standard in
photojournalism.

The print quality is well, iffy. Lots of the photos looked cropped.

People may say "well, what the hell do you know. They are in Magnum and
you're a hack amateur writing this on the LUG." Well, yes. I currently
do not make a living as a photographer, but I don't think that
automatically disqualifies me from saying that something is rotten in
Denmark.
;-)

Feli

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] M magazine)